Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Year, New Thoughts

The New Year always brings with it a sense of renewal, and I always feel the need to make a change of some sort. As I look back through this blog, I can see a pattern of January rejuvenation:

January 2009:  On January 9th, Cherish Toronto was introduced.
January 2010:  Goals were set for the year 1,2,3,4,5 (all of which were eventually accomplished) and I had a quick getaway to NYC.
January 2011:  My living room got a quick & colourful makeover with a fresh coat of Flamingo's Dream.
January 2012:  Bedside tables were found and plans were coming together for guest room decor in the new condo.
January 2013:  Crickets...

So far this year I've been feeling rather uninspired. That's not to say that things aren't happening - in fact I've tackled a few projects (closet organization and an art wall), but I'm not excited about anything new. I'm having a hard time putting my finger on the problem, but I think it might be this:


 Inspirational quote via Girl Hearts Camera

The blogging community here in Toronto is made up of some very, very, very talented people, many of whom I consider "blogger friends", and I often make the mistake of comparing my efforts to theirs. Big mistake. Big. Huge! Many of these bloggers have either been a guest on CityLine, appeared on Steven & Chris, or have been featured in Style at Home magazine. Is it weird to be super happy for all of these amazing bloggers, while at the same time being just a little bit jealous? They make we want to step up my game, and I'm struggling to get there, but I often feel that what they're doing is soooo much better than what I'm doing. I mean, look at what these bloggers have up to over the past year:


Christine Dovey of Bijou and Boheme
Christine set the tone for her entire home with Project Kitchen Gorgeous:

Image via Bijou and Boheme

Jennifer Flores of Rambling Renovators
Jennifer and her husband Sean have mastered the skills of home renovation:

 Image via Rambling Renovators 
 
Vanessa Francis of Decor Happy
Vanessa is an interior designer by trade and her home reflects her talent:

Image via Decor Happy

Sarah Gunn of Sarah Gunn Style
Sarah is the Queen of DIY and is a regular Cityline Guest Expert:

  
Image via Sarah Gunn Style 

Tim Lam of Design Maze
Tim always puts together beautiful rooms:

Image via Style at Home

Lisa Mackay of Wicked & Weird
Lisa has created a comfortable home for her young family:
 
  Image via Wicked & Weird

Lindsay Stephenson of Little House Blog
Lindsay and hubby Aubrey recently finished a kitchen renovation:

 

 So what are my thoughts for the year ahead? I think that it's an honour to be acquainted with such an incredibly talented group of bloggers who delight their readers by chronicling their DIY, design and renovation projects online. In 2013, I hope to by INSPIRED by them, and yet CONFIDENT enough in my abilities to find joy in my own home.

15 comments:

  1. I hear ya...i'm in a bit of a slump too. It will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe February will see an improvement in my disposition? I'm hoping this is just a case of winter doldrums.

      Delete
  2. I have to remind myself of that quote every day. There is always always always someone bigger, better, more successful, with more readers, more comments, more page views to compare to. But I think you've got the right attitude. I've always thought you were very talented with a discerning eye. 2013 is your year, just you wait ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pam, never ever ever compare yourself to other bloggers. I'm confused regularly as to why some people's blogs are huge and others are languishing out there (including mine). I see so much talent and am inspired by the choices you make every time I read your blog. We all have slumps. It, like the winter cold, will pass and you'll be basking in the sunshine of inspiration before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thanks so much for your kind words :-) Sometimes it's hard to be self confident and so much easier to be self critical. I'm hoping that I can take inspiration from these amazing bloggers and maximize my potential in 2013.

      Delete
  4. That quote is a good one to remember! Thanks for including me here Pam. I think we all were published/on TV as a result of our blog - so keep on doing what you're doing and if you want it to happen, it will! I'm sure even the "big" bloggers compare themselves to others - it's just human nature. As I tell my daughter often though, "we are all unique" with different talents and strengths. Just putting this out to the universe Pam will bring all kinds of positive energy and opportunity your way - I'm sure of it! It was so good to see you last week - you always radiate joy! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa,
      When I was browsing through your portfolio, I was so impressed by all of your work. You're an awesome person, and a true inspiration!! Thanks for leaving such a lovely comment.

      Delete
  5. such a great post, Pam. It's so true and so hard not to compare ourselves to others in nearly every aspect of life. You're doing an amazing job and I don't doubt that soon we will be seeing your work in magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this quote in my room - because I am the worst for this and it really *IS* the thief of joy. I too have been thrilled to bits for all these guys, while simultaneously thinking why not me? What am I doing wrong? Why does NOBODY LOVE ME? Why do I have to SUCK to MUCH???? Granted, I do tend to drift towards the dramatic, but you get the idea. :p I happen to think your blog ROCKS, would love to have your estate sale skills, not to mention your chest (the campaign one). But even more importantly - you are awesome IN REAL LIFE. True story. (Oh, and thanks for putting me in here with all the *real* bloggers, I have to admit it kind of made my day...) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Lisa, you always make me laugh. I love your attitude, and it's helpful to know that I'm not alone in the way I've been feeling. I'm my own worst judge, but aren't we all?
      Thanks for the sweet compliments. Can you see I'm blushing?

      Delete
  7. Pam - I completely identify with you. I, too have been uninspired this month and my blog reflects this. I love your blog and what you've done with your place. Cheers to getting back into things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah, I think the coming months will be better. I'm definitely going to start working on my place with a renewed sense of passion and confidence in my abilities.

      Delete
  8. Ah, Pam! You are awesome. All those guys are awesome too, but you're just as awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)