Monday, August 23, 2010

Garden Court Apartments

One of my favourite places in Toronto is the Garden Court Apartments at 1477 Bayview Avenue. The feeling I get when I step into the garden is difficult to explain...imagine a sense of history, peace and solitude, where the busy city seems very far away. The series of ten art deco buildings surround the central courtyard, which has a layout similar to that of formal french gardens. The buildings were designed by architects Forsey Page & Steele, while the landscape design was developed by Dunington-Grubb and Stensson. The apartments were completed in 1941, and have stood the test of time, as beautiful today as when they were first constructed.



















All photos by Pamela Graham for Cherish Toronto.

3 comments:

  1. Great Garden pictures......nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shout-out to Garden Court. My grandparents lived there many years ago, and their apartment was HUGE: two stories plus basement. It would never get built today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you cherish it, I live there and each night walk my dog around the inner courtyard enjoying the gnarly old trees.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)