Monday, January 12, 2009

Calm & Serene

At the end of the day, I retire to my bedroom to sleep, and all I want is to soak in the peace & quiet. That's why I have kept the room very uncluttered. Everything in the room has a purpose, and since it's only approximately 10'x12', there's no room for error.

I had a "Before" shot, but I deleted it awhile back, since I couldn't figure out why I had taken a photo of a wall with 2 electrical outlets in it.

This is the "After":

I have carried the robin's egg blue and brown from the living room into the bedroom to maintain flow throughout the space. The bedding is from the Sienna collection found at Quilts Etc., and it's calm colour sets the tone for the room. I had the headboard made at Alteriors on Adelaide Street West. Because the headboard is foam and batting covered in microfibre, it provides a comfortable spot to lean when I want to read before lights out.

Another angle:
Since the room is only 10 feet, 10 inches wide, my queen size bed only allows about 3 feet to walk on either side of the bed. I wanted to install a floating shelf on this wall, but the space wouldn't allow it, so this picture rail from West Elm provides the perfect spot for a shallow display. I have used an assortment of Ikea Ribba frames to create a gallery of my favourite photos from a recent trip to San Francisco. Also in this shot you can see that I keep an upholstered storage ottoman at the foot of the bed which is used in lieu of a linen closet to hold extra sheets & towels.

The Bedside Table:
The bedside table provides a spot for a reading lamp and a few cherished items. This glamorous lamp is made with capiz shells and I found it at Morba on Queen Street West. The jewellery box is from West Elm and although I purchased the fabulous Jonathan Adler ceramic figures in San Francisco, you can find them here in Toronto at Eye Spy on Queen Steet East. The all white accessories are dramatically offset against the dark wood of the bedside table, which is from the Magnolia collection at EQ3 on King Street East.

Last but not Least, The Closet:
It takes time to get ready for a busy day, so having an organized closet is the key to an efficient morning routine. I fell in love with the Ikea PAX system, but the dimensions just didn't work for my closet space, so...I found the Debbie Travis system at Canadian Tire. I did the entire closet for less than $400, and I am so happy with how it turned out - there's room for all my clothes, shoes and purses in this standard size closet, and I always know where to find everything!!

Prepare yourselves, tomorrow we hit The Bathroom!

The What & The Where:

Headboard: Alteriors,$400 (www.alteriors.com)
Bedding: Sienna by Carlingdale, Quilts, Etc. (www.quiltsetc.com)
Standing Mirror: Urban Barn $189 (www.urbanbarn.com)
Bedside Table: EQ3 $249 (www.eq3.com)
Lamp: Morba $299
Picture Rail: West Elm $39
Jewellery Box: West Elm $89 (www.westelm.com)
Jonathan Adler Figures: $25 (USD) (www.jonathanadler.com)
Photo Frames: Ribba, Ikea
Closet Organization System: Debbie Travis, Canadian Tire

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)