Friday, September 18, 2009

Style as Verb

As a young girl, I loved to rearrange my room. I would put posters up. I would take posters down. I would arrange them artfully around the mirror. Various trinkets on the counter top never stayed in one place for long - there was always a new configuration.

This proficiency to move items around until they look their best is officially known as styling. Yes, the word "Style" has made the leap from noun to verb. You may recall that back in March I restyled my bookcase. Well, here I go again, the 6 month itch to rearrange has attacked!!

Step 1: Preparation
Gather up all decor accessories into one area.


Step 2: Strip Down & Clean
Take the opportunity to dust while all surfaces are clear.


Step 3: STYLE
Follow the guidelines: Balance, Reflection,
Variation and Contrast.


Contrast
Porcelain balls in a glass ice bucket
combined with a marble lotus flower,
all on a wood surface.


Height Variation
Using a stack of books under one candle holder
stimulates visual interest.


Reflection
The marbles in the milk glass vessel
echo the colours of the painting.


Rely on your eyes and senses to tell you when things are just right.
Now go rearrange something!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, plus it lets me know that you're reading!! Leave your message here :-)